Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Quick Hint

I have found, in all my baking experiments, that it's extremely difficult to get a light texture in your wheat-free baked goods.  Especially, as in my case, when you can't use rice flour.  A few weeks ago it hit me-what about club soda?  So first I used it in place of milk for some cupcakes, which were pretty successful, and last night I used it in biscuits.  They were very good!  The thing you have to do with non-gluten flours is cut back a bit on the liquid, since there's no gluten to hold the dough together.  The recipe called for 2/3 cups of milk and I put in 1/2 cup of club soda instead.  It worked perfectly and the biscuits even held together better than they have in my other experiments!  And don't worry if the club soda isn't the freshest-I used some that barely has any fizz and it worked fine.  Next on my agenda is scones-if it works for biscuits it should work for them!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by our Blog and now allowing me access to yours as well. I found it very interesting and informative. My daughter, sister and brother in law all have food allergies so I will be sharing it with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I am hyper-sensitive to salicylates. It caused an anaphylactic shock 32 months back. And it changed my life forever. I have not eaten any food from outside of my house. I cook, bake and make every single morsel that I put in my mouth. Anything which has preservatives, colourings, flavourings, additives and MSG will sent me into another shock.

    Here is my story:

    http://therighttobealive.blogspot.com/2011/09/day-i-met-death.html

    Take care! And your food blog is delicious!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete

I am excited to hear from you, but I will check out your comment before posting it just in case... I do want your input and help with allergies!