Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Just What are We Eating Anyway?

This op-ed piece by columnist Ellen Goodman appeared in today's Bozeman Daily Chronicle:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/07/24/putting_obesity_out_of_business/

I've always been conscious of what is added to our food on a regular basis, but as time goes by, I am more and more amazed at the lengths they go to to get you to consume their food.

For instance, why do McDonald's french fries have wheat in them? They make a big deal about cooking their potatoes in a dedicated fryer (for the celiacs) and then sabotage their health by putting something dangerous in them.

BK is no better-if you go to their website and look at their ingredients they have rice as an additive. OK if you're not allergic to rice.

I could never figure out why fast food fries would make me cough-hard! The doctors all said it was the grease irritating my acid reflux, but I knew there was much more to it. Lo and behold I was consuming two of my worst allergens-rice and wheat. (The only two worse are tomatoes and corn)

In future posts I'll rant and rail about corn and high fructose corn syrup.

1 comment:

  1. Why can't they just have "potatoes" in the french fries? Isn't that how they are supposed to be? My sons food allergies really opened my eyes to what we are eating. And it's not good.

    ReplyDelete

I am excited to hear from you, but I will check out your comment before posting it just in case... I do want your input and help with allergies!